Sunday, June 16, 2013

Celadon kiln brought back to life after 120 years - Ojiyama-yaki

I have not been so interested in crockery, ceramics, celadon or this kind of things and am not very familiar with them still now.  But when I first saw a picture of dishes of Ojiyama-yaki (王地山焼), their pale green color fascinated me and then made me head to the only place where this celadon is made - Sasayama-shi in Hyogo prefecture.




Sasayama-shi is an intermountain city, where was once a castle town during Edo period (1603-1868), and the part of the streetscape with old atmosphere is still alive.

At the end stage of Edo period, Mr. Tadayasu Aoyama, the then-governor of this area, constructed a kiln and started the history of its original celadon called Ojiyama-yaki.  Because of the protection of the industry by the governor and the local big merchant, the celadon production then became popular among daimyos (大名) there, and it is said that a number of elegant products were created for a while.  

However, the klin ceased to operate in 1869 when the governmental system changed at the beginning of Meiji period.

In 1988, or after 120 years since then, the current Ojiyama-yaki klin was established near the old factory and the production was started over again!  I visited the new klin with gallery yesterday and saw two young craftsmen who engage in production.




As you may see from the work in the above picture, the pattern on the dish has some kind of Chinese taste.  Actually, I saw many other works displayed in their gallery, and I felt some kind of influence of Chinese culture.  Although the above work is pale-blue celadon, there are also Ojiyama-yaki works of blue and white porcelain type and those with rad painting.


It was a strange feeling to see people - they seem to be around the same age as I am, or still younger - are making the craftworks with history that once died out... But as I talked to one of them and at least I understood they are really proud of and love what they are making and the culture of Ojiyama-yaki itself.



And I got a small dish with delicate flower pattern and very pale, lovely blue-green color.  It is now on my desk and makes me think how amazing the cultural staff, which might have disappeared before arriving here, is just in front of me right now:)

Address info:
Ojiyama Toukijo (王地山陶器所)
431 Kawara-machi, Sasayama-shi, Hyogo

No comments:

Post a Comment