Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Story behind simple summer dress - Aizu-Momen (cotton cloth) -1


My friend Akko showed me her bland-new summer dress.  It is simple and beautiful, and has its unique story that I thought I need to share.




She is from Fukushima prefecture - I guess some of you outside Japan may remember as the name of the place where there was sad disaster in 2011.  When I heard her dress is made of Aizu-Momen, or cotton cloth that has been traditionally made in Aizu area in Fukushima, I was glad to know this local industry keeps on going after the earthquake!

Aizu-Momen has 400 years of its history.  According to the website of Harayama Orimono Kojo (原山織物工場), this history started when the then governor recommended cultivation of cotton for the purpose of industrial development.   Aizu-Momen has excellent moisture retention, air permeability, and water absorption, and I guess this is why daily wear made of Aizu-Momen has been loved there for so many years.  You can see the elaborate surface of

exquisitely dyed cloth.




And now, people today still loves it and are trying to making lovely products with it, and Akko's dress is one of those things.  The website of Entete shows other examples, including formal dress, pendants, toy bears, etc., as well as how Aizu-Momen is manufactured by traditional manufacturing process.


There is another interesting story behind this dress, and it is about its manufacturer Yamma Industry.  This company, located in Tokyo, has its own, very unique system of making their product.  I will write about it on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment